Even if you're not into making resolutions, there are still ways to take 2017 by the horns and make it one of your happiest and most successful years.
Whether your goals are personal or professional, there are some small, but powerful steps that can help you live more positively to achieve everything you want and more.
- Take advantage of every opportunity. Great opportunities may not come along that often, so it's important to say 'yes' to them when they do. The reason many of us don't take opportunities when they present themselves, is we don't deem ourselves worthy or capable of taking them. Stop underestimating yourself. If an opportunity offers benefits that outweigh the risks, jump on it. If you believe in yourself, you'll find a way to make it work.
- Learn what your strengths are and how to play to them. Success lies in your ability to understand your unique strength and how to harness it. Once you've pinpointed what it is you're best at, the next step is to re-think how you approach the things in your life so you're coming in with an advantage.
- Practice being grateful. With the ups and downs of life it can be easy to sometimes overlook all the wonderful, everyday things we should be thankful for. By actively practicing gratitude, you will grow your positive outlook, making room for creativity and motivation to tackle bigger challenges. Health, good weather, your beautiful family, a perfect chai latte are all great opportunities for you to stop and consider how wonderful the world can be.
- Make a playlist of songs that motivate you. Music is powerful. The right tune can lift your energy, help you concentrate and even pull you out of a funk (pun intended). A playlist that energizes you will help you to go further in your work (or workout) as well as keep you focused on the task at hand.
- Find a mentor. Everyone needs someone to look up to and draw inspiration from. Find someone to discuss your big dreams with, allow them to keep you accountable. Choosing and building a reciprocal relationship with a mentor will not only help you see new ways to tackle your goals, but will build your self-esteem by providing opportunities to help someone else in their professional or personal growth.
- Plan for tomorrow today. Life flows a little more smoothly when you plan ahead. Even if you're not the most organised person, planning for tomorrow can be as simple as laying your clothes out the night before or pre-packing your lunch. Waking up organised means a less stressful morning routine, and sets you up to have a much more positive day.
- Know when to quit. The most successful people look at failure as a positive thing, a stepping-stone to success that helps you find the right path. For this reason, successful people don't fear failure - and so quitting something that is not contributing to their goals is easy for them. This year, take a look at the things you do that don't work for you, or are more stress than reward. Be it a job, a relationship or activity and don't be afraid to walk away from them.
- Find what really makes you happy. Take a moment and think about what you do day-to-day. Which of these activities makes you truly happy? Why are you doing the ones that aren't? Doing things you're passionate about restocks your energy stores. It makes you more creative and optimistic. Ask yourself, "am I taking enough time to do the things I love?" More of these activities will make you motivated and energized enough to tackle the more challenging things more effectively.
- Schedule time for yourself. ME TIME is important. In busy environments it can often get bumped off the to-do list in favour of other people's needs, but an empty vessel cannot serve others, so you need to make sure you set aside some time for yourself to relax and restore your energy. It may be going out for a coffee, getting your nails done or reading a book. Remember, these things aren't selfish, but actually help you have energy to achieve your goals and assist with those of others.
- Surround yourself with positive people. Inevitably, we are the mirror of those around us. So it makes sense to surround ourselves with those people we aspire to be like. It isn't selfish to disengage from the toxic people in your life. Negativity promotes negativity and will get in the way of your goals. Positive people will give you energy and inspiration to be and do your best.
Whatever your goals, the right mindset is key. Putting yourself in positive environments, and doing things to help you stay positive will make 2017 your year. If you'd like to learn more about one of the most positive life changes our Stylists say they've made, check out our latest new Stylist offer.