Nothing beats stepping out of the shower and wrapping yourself in a thick, soft and absorbent towel. But not all towels are created equal. There are some key differences between a stock-standard bath towel and a really great one that will last for years.
When shopping for a new towel, here are 5 things you should be looking out for:
- Absorbency. This is probably the most important consideration when buying a new towel. After all, its main purpose is to dry you! A towel's drying ability is determined by the number, length and density of loops in the weave. The more loops a towel has, the greater its capacity for absorbing liquid. Having longer loops will also increase the overall surface area of the towel, which gives it a better drying capacity.
- Content. Cotton naturally attracts water and is considered to be the best fibre for towels. Each cotton fibre loop can hold almost 25 times its weight in liquid and thick, tightly packed loops with zero-twist have the best absorbency. Check the label to make sure you're buying 100% cotton, and not a combination of cotton and polyester. The highest quality towels are usually made of long staple cotton.
- Weight. When it comes to towels, the heavier the better. Towels are measured in units known as GSM (or grams per square metre). This relates to the towel's fabric density. A superior quality towel will be packed full of fibres and will have a heavier weight. Generally, heavier towels are more durable, while lighter, thinner towels with a lower GSM wear down more quickly. Anything above 600 GSM is considered to be a premium, luxury weight towel.
- Softness. Good quality towels have a soft, velvety feel. Zero twist cotton towels are some of the plushest on the market. Not only do these towels feel luxurious, they also have extra strength and durability. Avoid cheap towels with a scratchy feel as these are likely to be of a low quality and you'll have to replace them more often.
- Size. Yes, size is a factor when choosing a towel. While standard size towels may be big enough for children and smaller adults, a taller person is better to opt for a bath sheet, which is bigger than the average bath towel and will make drying time a whole lot quicker.
TIP: Get more towel for your buck with Lorraine Lea's Cooper Towelling Range. The Bath Towels, Bath Sheets and Hand Towels are all larger than the average size and are a high quality 650 GSM.