Perhaps it's a nod to our British heritage, or maybe it's just an excuse to revel in a festive atmosphere twice a year, but one thing is certain: the idea of celebrating Christmas in July is gaining momentum in the southern hemisphere.
We can all agree there is nothing worse than being stuck in the kitchen with a turkey and ham in the oven on a 32 degree December day, but in the depths of a July winter, the very idea of roast veggies, stuffing and cranberry condiments has us all salivating.
An unofficial holiday, Christmas in July imitates the fun and frivolity of Christmas in a month where we can rug up in a beanie and scarf and sip mulled wine by a fire.
If you're planning to don an ugly Christmas sweater and host a festive celebration this month, there are some things you can't forget! Be sure to make a 'to do' list (and check it twice) before your guests arrive:
- Festive fashions: Encourage everyone to come dressed in their best ugly Christmas sweater. You know, that stylish woolen knit number your grandma made with a huge reindeer on the front.
- Op Shop Secret Santa: Pull a name out of the hat, set a dollar limit and swap pre-loved gifts with your friends. Alternatively, you could ask guests to forgo gifts this July and bring a $10 donation for a kids charity instead!
- Traditional feast: If you're going to do Christmas in July, you might as well do it right - complete with roast turkey, chestnuts, mince pies, gingerbread... the list goes on!
- Decadent desserts: Arguably one of the best parts of the silly season is the number of desserts that contain alcohol. Rum balls are high on the list of must-have sweets, but don't overlook the delectable Rum and Raisin cake or traditional fruit cake. It's a time for celebration after all...
- Beverages: 'Tis the season... for mulled wine and eggnog. Yum!
- Music: Set the mood and cater for all music tastes by making a playlist with some new yuletide jingles and some classic carols.
- Decor: Color coordinated tableware in green, silver and red will help foster that festive spirit. Check out what's on offer (and get a bargain) in the Lorraine Lea Mid-Year sale catalogue!